Customer Services and Communications Apprentice
We are looking for an apprentice to work in both the Customer Service and the Communications Team. We don't want someone to just work on the Customer Service desk, or answer the phone all day, we want someone who wants to be part of the teams who are committed to improving the service we provide to all our customers and who will help us to improve the customer experience and journey, both on line and face to face. We know more people want to be able to use online services from start to finish when they need to communicate with us, whether this is finding out the progress of their planning application, renewing their green waste subscription or reporting a noisy neighbour and finding out what is happening with it.
So to help us provide this for our customers, we are looking for someone who will, for the first few months of this role, work predominately in the customer services team, dealing with customers face to face so that they understand what type of enquiries and issues we deal with, and how we currently do things, before then spending most of their time alongside the communications team, to improve the website and enable our customers to "self serve" online more easily.
You will be working in the Council offices, working in the Customer Services One Stop Shop and in the main office with the Communications Team. You will be dealing with customers, and other members of the public as well as colleagues from around the Council and other partners such as Citizens Advice.
The role is very varied, so as well as dealing with issues we face on a daily basis, you will also deal with online and email contacts from customers.
The apprentice will learn key skills in Customer Services and Communications, dealing with all types of customers with a wide range of differing needs. Whilst this can be at times challenging and demanding, you will gain job satisfaction from resolving issues for customers who have perhaps been struggling to get the help and support they require.
The apprentice will learn about the working procedures of a Council.
Tasks the apprentice will be undertaking will include:
- Receiving and making telephone calls
- Dealing with customers who visit the One Stop Shop
- Identifying why customers come into the Council and how this could be moved to an online service
- Working alongside the website officer and other colleagues to update the website with information for customers and moving services customers use to an online platform
- Be prepared to work in both teams, being flexible to move to the other team at short notice, depending on operational needs
- Using photocopiers
- Use of scanning equipment
- Using a variety of systems and software
- Using Microsoft office tools including Word, Excel, Outlook in order to be able to update existing documents and create new documents, letters and communications, etc.
Requirements and prospects
- Ability to speak confidently and respectfully to customers and colleagues both over the telephone and face to face
- Ability to be able to listen and fully understand what customers need
- Ability to identify opportunities to make improvements to delivering customers services and be prepared to work with others to deliver these improvements
- Literacy skills to be able to write emails, letters and documents to both internal and external customers and colleagues
- Numeracy skills to be able to undertake basic calculations
- Ability to compose emails and send emails using IT packages
- Ability to create a Word document
- Ability to open and enter information accurately into a database
- Able to use ICT equipment to be able to open documents and enter data
- Able to work in a team, supporting colleagues
- Able to work using your own initiative
- Able to organise your time effectively and to prioritise your workload to meet deadlines
- Confidentiality is important due to the nature of the job
- Confident approach
5 GCSE's at grade C or above (or equivalent qualifications), to include Literacy and Numeracy.